Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Books that Blew Our Minds: Spudbabe

Kindergarden-4th Grade:
Polar Bear Brothers, Ylla (1960)
I couldn't take the pressure of picking a new book in 10 minutes every week during Library class.  So most weeks I would panic in the last 20 seconds and take out Polar Bear Brothers.  It's about two polar bear brothers who play together-ADORABLE!!


Elementary School (when I wasn't reading Polar Bear Brothers):
My Brother Sam is Dead, James Lincoln Collier and Christopher Collier (1976)
I'm pretty sure this had a traumatic effect on everyone who had to read it at that age.  Seriously though, who has 9 year olds read a book that has a young boy watch his older brother get executed at the end?  Those teachers were a bunch of sick F-ers. 


Middle School
Where the Red Fern Grows, Wilson Rawls (1961)
This is a traumatic book for EVERYONE who reads it regardless of age/sex. 

  
Junior High School:
Catcher In The Rye, J.D. Salinger (1951)
Because 13 year olds are retarded. 

High School
Gone With The Wind, Margaret Mitchell (1936)
I still don't understand why Scarlett was so in love with that fruit loop Ashley over Rhett.  Rhett was sexy and wonderful (marital rape aside) and loved her so much!!!!  And I just started crying...  


College 
The Lord of the Rings, J.R.R. Tolkien (1937-1949)



I at first refused to read any of these books or watch the movies because they're for dorks.  Then Elle Ewok rented the first movie and made me watch it with her.  We then watched it 5 more times that weekend.  Then I read all the books, watched the first movie 20-30 more times, stood in line to see the other two movies, bought all the extended release DVD's and watched them multiple times, bought the action figures.....so without those books and movies, it could have been many more years before I realized I was a complete Dork too.
 
20 - Something:

The Fountainhead, Ayn Rand (1943)


I just can't speak highly enough of this book.  I absolutely LOVED it.  It came into my life at a time when I was starting to grow up (a little bit) and was trying to form my political beliefs in a more solid way.  Up until then all I knew was that I didn't like responsible people paying for losers and that George W. Bush had a cute butt.  I still feel that way, but reading the Fountainhead helped me to refine my beliefs and had a sexy romance in it to boot. 

No comments:

Post a Comment